FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Juice Feasting

A sink full of veggies supplies a full day's worth of yummy nutritious jars of juice.  With busy days on the calendar, it seems easiest to make my juices in the evening, sealed into glass jars, stored in the fridge, ready for my quick morning routines and exits!

I have several "go-to" juices that I find travel well in my small cooler with ice packs and bottles of water.

V-8 (or 9, or 12 - depending on what's in the veggie stash in the fridge…)

All ready to process: 12 carrots, 8 stalks celery,  3 large stalks bok choy, 1 large tomato, 1 peeled cucumber, 1 lemon, 3 cloves garlic, big handful cilantro, and 1 seeded jalapeño.  I have found this juicer most efficient and faster if I cut the produce into chunks, rather than try to push things through whole.  Just takes a few more minutes to prep, I have it down to an art and a science now!

My newest juicer, the Jay Kordich Power Grind Pro, makes short work of the veggies.  This is a hybrid juicer, with a grinding process before the centrifugal forces push the ground pulp against the spinning basket which separates the juice from the insoluble fiber.  Wonderfully fresh, non-pulpy juice!  Two quarts, ready to go into jars.


The pint jar is Mean Green: 2 cucumbers, 8 stalks celery, 4 apples, 8 large kale leaves, 1 lemon, and a 2" knob of ginger.  There WAS a quart of it - I drank the other pint for dinner as I put the rest of the juice into the refrigerator!

So there is tomorrow's lunch and dinner, all done in one session with only one time clean-up!  It only takes about 90 seconds to clean and re-assemble the juicer, but I usually don't have time for three juicing sessions a day.  So this works for me, and ensures I have the juices I need to keep me Juice Feasting all day with no fuss.

All clean, ready to go for the next juicy session.  These two machines are my life-line to better health: the powerful juicer, and my beloved VitaMix!  Buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment