FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Friday, October 23, 2009

Onion Bread

Staying away from yeast breads is important for my health. Mostly because I love them SOOOO much that I totally lose focus at the first bite of buttered yeasty chewy yum, and will easily go through half a loaf of fresh-out-of-the oven bread. And to make it even more difficult, I LOVE to BAKE BREAD!!


While browsing through various raw recipe sites, I kept seeing references to an Onion Bread that most contributors seemed to think was the bee's knee's, the best thing in the raw bread world. So I finally threw the ingredients in the processor, waited patiently for it do it's thing in the dehydrator, and took a bite.


Whoa nelly. This is GOOD STUFF!





Here's my version of a super lunch - tomato, avocado, and alfalfa sprouts in an onion bread sandwich spread with a bit of almondaise, some curried cauliflower, a spoonful raw kraut salad, some marinated/dehydrated mushrooms - and apple walnut cookies to snack on a bit later.
I did a few tweaks, after taking notes on various versions. Here's my
ONION BREAD
In processor, finely dice 1 large sweet onion - about 1 1/4c.
Put in a bowl with: 1 c. flax seed, ground (measure BEFORE grinding)
1 c. raw sunflower seeds, ground ( " ")
1/4 c. fermented soy sauce, ie Kikomans
1/4 c. water
1/8 c. -1/4 c. olive oil (too much oil makes it crumbly)
1/2 large sweet onion, THINLY sliced
Mix thoroughly. Spread on teflex sheets (it made two sheets for my round dehydrator) about 1/4" thin. Helps to wet your hands as you spread and pat it out. Dry about 8 hours at 115 degrees (overnight works). Flip off the teflex sheets onto dehydrator racks, dry additional 3-4 hours, or until it suits the texture you like.
These are pliable but mostly dry; they can be dried totally crisp, if desired.
I cut them into wedges with kitchen scissors while still warm.
The only problem I ran into with them - I kept eating samples while testing for dryness. REALLY good flavor, and while still warm - devine!
I like this bread way too much, so I packaged wedges wrapped in pairs, for sandwiches, and tucked them into a ziplock bag in the fridge. I understand they freeze well, too. I'll try that if I still have some left at the end of the week....

No comments:

Post a Comment