FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Sunday, January 2, 2011

30 Days Raw: Day 2 and the Kitchen Sink Salad

This salad is soooo satisfying! I'm loving it for my midday meal!


I think I'm going to call it the KITCHEN SINK SALAD.


First I tear up about half a bowl of baby arugula. Then I chop up 4-5 leaves of kale into about 1/2 " pieces, and add to the bowl. A quick check in the frigerator - out comes chopped red and yellow sweet peppers, scallions, parsley, sesame seeds, soaked sunflower seeds, some diced cucumber, a bit of tomato. Into the bowl they go.


Here's the magic that pulls it all together: Mellow Miso Dressing.


1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 T. mellow white miso
1 T. grated fresh ginger
1 T. turmeric grated or 1/2 tsp. powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
sea salt to taste
Smash and whisk together with a fork.

OK, here's my version: peel and chop the ginger and garlic. Use whatever miso you have on hand (I had Shiro - light, but not white). Throw all ingredients in the VITAMIX and blitz smooth.
You may have noticed, I'm all for simplicity and fast results ;-)


Anyway, it's a scrumptious dressing for anything with kale. The oil helps "wilt" the kale making it easier to chew.


Turmeric is a spice we need to find more ways to include in our diet. It's anti-inflammatory properties alone would be good reason. But here's a link to more info on turmeric, worth a browse:

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/20-health-benefits-of-turmeric.html


(Copy and paste the link into your address bar if it doesn't work from this site)



No comments:

Post a Comment