FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Monday, August 31, 2009

Camp fare...

Sitting around the campfire doesn't necessarily mean hotdogs and s'mores. Although that's what the punks were eating, I seem to have pretty much lost any desire for such "campy" things - although I have to admit, they still SMELL yummy!

No, my tastebuds have turned over a new leaf. Here's an interesting quote from Healing with Living Foods: "Did you know your taste buds change every 250 hours? That’s ten days. Taste buds are clusters of 50 to 100 cells, with a taste pore at the apex of each bud. Nerve fibers connect your buds to your brain.
As old cells die and new ones are born, the pores adjust to the shape of the molecules you’re eating."

So literally, my taste buds have turned over a new leaf! I'm finding this very intriguing, because that little info bite seems to explain why I don't have cravings for sugar, cooked carbs and so on.

Camp Purple, a three-day outing for some friends and family here at the cabin, had all the usual accoutrements: games, songs, riding, educational activities - and food.

My kitchen being just steps from the campfire helped a bunch. I had a fridge stocked with fruits, veggies, sprouted grains and nuts, and of course my trusty blender. So my camp days started as usual with a green smoothie, and segued into salads and other noshs.

This salad, a "throw-together", had romaine and leafy lettuces, sprouted quinoa and mung beans, fresh from the garden tomatoes, all dressed up with a "throw-together" dressing. I'm good at throwing things. Here's the dressing - approximately:

Ginger Tahini dressing

Blend smooth: 1/2 c. tahini, 1 T. Braggs Liquid Aminos, 1-2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger, 1 tsp. agave. Enough water to make desirable pouring consistency - a couple tablespoons maybe.

I didn't miss the hotdogs at all.

And the "fire therapy" - gazing into flames and glowing coals, letting the sounds, scents, and ambience of the camp flow around me, was dessert...

No comments:

Post a Comment