FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Harmony


A gardener has the opportunity to develop a very special relationship with the world of plants. If the gardener is observant, mindful, forgiving, curious, enthusiastic, adventurous, spiritual, and willing to experiment, the green ones will reward with health, peace of body and mind, and friendship.

As I look at the photo above, I see beets, kohlrabi, dill, marigolds, millet, and a few "weeds" doing their job of distracting some of the leaf marauders, and especially,I see a symbiotic relationship. That relationship includes me.

My garden tolerates my attempts at organizing, teases me by varying production and maturity dates, undermines weed control, and gives me something I can find nowhere else: a personal relationship with the food I eat.

Eating raw has further enhanced my considerable love of gardening. My enjoyment of an individual plant now includes a deeper knowledge of it's potential to improve my life at a cellular level. It's exciting, satisfying, and fulfilling.

I feel alive at a deeper level. I know my health is improving. When I harvest a beet, or carrot, or yes, even a zuchinni, I offer a word of thanks and appreciation to the spirit of that plant for it's place in my life. I feel like I'm more than a plant-tender; I have a caring partner.

It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment