FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In the beginning, there was a garden...

This is my journal of diving into raw food for awhile. I'm purposely not putting time lines or guidelines or anything else on myself as I approach this way of eating. I've been interested in it for a long time, even have a "cookbook" on the shelf that's been browsed through but the pages have yet to be dripped or dropped on during a experimental foray.



Until this morning.

The herb harvesting and intense wildcrafting I've been doing seem to have influenced something deep inside. Yesterday, it smacked me between the eyes (where supposedly the brain resides) and said, "Yo, it's TIME to clean up your act!"

The other thing that happened, was a few days ago I came across a blogsite that really resonated with me, from a gal who eats 75% raw, has goats, makes soap and cheese, has a garden, and horses, and chickens, and homeschools her boys, and...you can see how I got hooked in. Also, she is in central Washington, so I felt very at home with her comments about her area.

I can't really describe the euphoria that struck as I said to myself, "Self, we are going to do this, it's the right thing to do, and we're doing it NOW!" I felt light, and free, and very very happy. It's a high that I recognized, as being true to ME, true to my soul and where I am in my life journey.

I know that at my age, critical digestive enzyme activity is greatly dimished. Raw foods, and very lightly cooked foods, can help that deficiency. With my wake-up call of colon cancer, I need to be more aware of eating in an intelligent, not sensory, manner. Not that this way of eating will be a hardship, I've done too much vegetarian eating in the past to fall into the "bland, blah" trap.

This will be a journey into some familar and also new realms of food. It will be exciting, challenging, and vastly satisfying. Body and soul.

SO.

Here I go again, with sincere desire to be healthier, to discard some pounds along with some bad habits and cravings, to eat closer to zero miles (everything produced at home as much as possible - thank you, garden!), and live more lightly on the land.

I've found a website that is comfortable to start with (http://www.purelydelicious.net/rawrecipes.htm ), I have my "Dining in the Raw" cookbook (very nice, too), and some blogs to browse from like-minded souls.

I have a good food processor, a Vita-mix blender that is capable of mixing everything from soup to concrete, some premium Henckel knives and my trusty cutting boards.

AND, I have a producing garden that is begging to be ingested!

We're ready to rock 'n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment