FOOD FOR THOUGHT...

"Good chefs, like artists, are visionaries. You have to have a vision of the taste, the look, the smell of your masterpiece; you hold it in your mind and make it materialize."

Onid Jatteri

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Freedom

Besides just having fun indulging in one of my favorite hobbies - reading cookbooks and recipes and learning more about foods - I have noticed something that is a bit unusual in my many years of all sorts of "diet" experiences: I'm not thinking about how the food I'm eating is affecting me. Is it too high in fat, carbs, etc, or no sugar or trans fats, and so on. Because as long as it is RAW, or really close to it, there is no need to fuss over it. No counting calories, or amounts, or servings. What a concept.

I find that so refreshing and FREEING. It is an actual feeling of lightness - both of mind and of body. Hmmmm. I've been reading about how results of eating raw can be very quick - this is interesting. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that my angels led me to this.

Here's the fastest icecream recipe you'll ever make:
Put 3-4 frozen bananas, cut in chunks, into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. The end.

Told ya so.

If the bananas were really ripe, you don't need any sort of sweetener for this. If I really wanted to gild the lily, I could drizzle it with honey or pure maple syrup. Might even add some flavors like maybe cocoa powder, or frozen berries. It's a whole new world out there in "raw-land"!

This was my treat last night, and there's still more in the freezer, in 1/2 cup containers.

Into the Vita-mix: 3 frozen bananas, about 1/2 c. frozen raspberries (fresh from the garden two hours previous - now THAT'S eating "zero miles!"), a dash of vanilla, about 1/3 cup finely chopped walnut/pecan mixture, 1 cup cold goatmilk. Whizzed into icey, creamy yumminess in about 30 seconds. Made 5 nice little cups of frozen treat.

If I had to choose again, I would make it with a nut or seed milk, rather than the dairy. The goatmilk is delicious but milk does cause me some problems, always has. One of the things I need to remove from my personal eating pattern is dairy. That means my lovely chevre will be a treat item, not an everyday snack. Dairy is in one of the circles, but really doesn't do well with fruits (this is a "food combining" principle). Which is why next time I will make my treat with almond milk.

Now that's something I have to wrap my mind around: food combining. I used to do the old popular concept of a certain amount of beans with a certain amount of appropriate grain or veg, etc. to make sure I was getting "adequate protein" (Adele Davis era - I know, that dates me). It was complicated and ultimately too much trouble.

Now, with the help of a simple four-circle graph (looks like Mickey Mouse - the ears, you know), it's very very EASY to figure out this concept of food combining. I'm not going to get too hung up on it at the moment, my aim for this week is just to start eating mostly raw (100% so far), and enjoy the journey.

But eventually, when I get out of kindergarten, I will graduate to the high school concept of food combining put forth by Traci Sellers in her "Traci's Transformational Health Principles", and meantime I can still enjoy "Traci's Transformational Kitchen Recipe Collection" which does it all FOR me!

A good place to explore:

http://www.bestfoodist.com/

1 comment:

  1. excellent blog! Beautiful too! Great job, I am impressed and going to add you to my sidebar of bloggy friends

    ReplyDelete