I'm participating in a 2-week Green Smoothie Challenge. When I get interested in something, I have a compulsion to learn all I can (within reason) about the subject - and green smoothies are my current passion!
Rather than re-create the wheel, here are some posts from other greenies, with info and encouragement. I find myself nodding in agreement as I read through...
"This last year I discovered the green drink, and now my day just isn't the same when I don't start it out with my GREEN DRINK. It all started when I read the book GREEN FOR LIFE (Victoria Boutenko).
My favorite recipe is 2-3 ripe bananas, 1 apple, 1 cup of juice; 2 cups of ice, and about 1 lb of spinach. Yes, I said ONE POUND of spinach. I mix this in a Vita Mix, and it is heavenly! It might look green, but it tastes like a fruit smoothie. °Ü°
1. Green drinks are very healthy. The best tasting ratio is about 60% - ripe organic fruit mixed with about 40% - organic green vegetables.
2. Green drinks are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients; the green drink literally start to get absorbed in your mouth.
3. Green drink, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
4. Green drinks taste so yummy! With a ratio of fruits to veggies as 60/40 the fruit taste dominates the flavor, yet at the same time the green vegetables balance out the sweetness of the fruit.
5. By consuming two or three cups of green drink daily (I usually drink the whole 2 quarts in one day), you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated. Many people do not consume enough of greens, even those on a raw food diet. The molecule of chlorophyll has only one atom that makes it different from a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, to consume chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.
6. Green smoothies are perfect food for children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old when introducing new food to them after mother’s milk. Of course you have to be careful and slowly increase the amount of green drink to avoid food allergies.
7. Regular consumption of Green drinks forms a good habit of eating greens. Many people say that after a couple of weeks of drinking green drink, they started to crave and enjoy eating more greens.
8. There are many ideas for your green creations. Some of my favorite greens to add to green drink: parsley, spinach, celery, kale and romaine. My favorite fruits for green drink are: pears, peaches, nectarines, bananas, mangoes and apples. Strawberries and raspberries taste superb in green smoothies, when combined with ripe bananas.
So go ahead now, give it a try! " °Ü° (The Baby Catcher - blog)
"Did you know that through one green smoothie you can consume 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables? Did you also know that eating green smoothies is one of the easiest way to digest the full nutrients of fruits and vegetables?
Green smoothies are a wonderful alternative, as opposed to juices, of absorbing the full potential by retaining the entire whole form of the fruit/vegetable, thus receiving all the fiber. They can assist in boosting energy, building your immune system, detoxing impurities, and loosing weight. Greens are rich in magnesium and alkaline minerals like calcium and are superb in their Omega-3 unsaturated fat content. Believe it or not, greens are one of the richest sources of protein.
Another one of my new year goals was to begin eating more greens in our diet. What better way than to include these in our morning smoothies? We serve kefir smoothies three times a week for breakfast, so my desire was to discreetly begin adding some nutritious greens to the mix. I have found it to be incredibly simple, delicious, and so much easier to eat than a large salad (especially for the kids). Not only can you really not taste the greens at all, but you are getting a huge boost in nutrition.
Greens are especially frugal and thus another good encouragement to begin consuming them.
We have stayed amazingly healthy over this past month since beginning the green smoothie pursuit, even when we have been exposed to some nasty illnesses around us. Could it be?" ( Passionate Homemaking -website)
"Dr. Wilstatter of the University of Pennsylvania, found that the elements making up the chlorophyll in plants are approximately the same elements from which red blood cells are constructed. There, he pronounced chlorophyll the ideal food medicine.Chlorophyll cleanses, heals and builds the body cell. It banishes anemic conditions quickly, reduces blood pressure, and aids the heart action. It frees clogged arteries, smoothes out arthritic conditions, and improves peristalsis (the contractions that occur along the digestive track, moving the food along in the digestive process).
As a result of a diet rich in chlorophyll, health is improved and a happier mental outlook is experienced." Dr. Ann Wigmore, Recipes for Life
This site (http://greensmoothierevolution.com/blog/?cat=3 ) is wonderful to explore, with info, recipes, etc. It will keep you reading, and maybe even dusting off that blender!